Pages

02 October 2008

Guardian Angels ...

Today is one of those lovely "Catholic" Memorials that can drive someone to insanity.  In a wonderful way, of course.  

So often the idea of the guardian angel is taught to the young, and then shunted aside at a later date as we attempt to teach the faith in a way that "makes sense."  Then again, preaching that a man died and rose three days later and was the Son of God the entire time doesn't exactly "make sense" either.

But I digress...

I can remember my grandmother teaching me the Guardian Angel prayer and me saying it almost every night when I was younger.  Now grandma is gone and yet when I hear the prayer, as I did this morning at mass, my mind races back to the three of my grandparents who are undoubtedly with God and just as assuredly looking out for me.  I couldn't do much to prove this to someone who doesn't believe me, but I've learned in this life that sometimes the things you know best are those that you just know because you do.  

And so Frank, Frank and Verna, keep praying for me, I'm blessed to have you keeping me out of trouble.


Angel of God, My Guardian Dear
to whom God's love commits me here.

Ever this day be at my side
to light and guard and rule and guide.

Amen.


No comments: