Pages

06 November 2008

Back to my roots... (x2)

Spent Wednesday at CYFM (Capuchin Youth & Family Ministries) in Garrison, NY.  A classmate and I helped out on a Confirmation retreat for 8th graders.  I was completely back in my element: 40 hormonal and excited, yet religiously disinterested middle schoolers running pell mell in a retreat setting.  They were really enthusiastic, however, and the CYFM retreats have been melded into pure youth ministry science.  

As is normal for these sorts of things, the kids were a pretty even mix of those who were interested in making their Confirmation and those who were in it for the party/money/to keep their parents happy.  I'm not sure how successful we were in communicating the Confirmation message, but then again, you're never show how seeds will grow once they're planted.

Today I worked with the Blessed Sacrament 3rd, 4th and 5th graders who are Altar Servers.  I spent a bit of time introducing myself and explaining to them a little bit about how important it is to be attentive and "go with the flow" when they're altar servers.  After that, we moved onto how to hold the candles, how to carry the cross and how to hold the Sacramentary for the priest during the opening prayer.  Sound boring? Well, you have no idea how much I loved it.  

Well, that's about it for the night.

peace,
matt

No comments: