Pages

12 December 2008

Heaven Takes One Back...

My tempestuous views on the Jesuits are well known to most who know me well.  Or to those who have had the misfortune to ask me my opinion on anything.

I love the Jesuits.  They're great thinkers and writers.  And great theologians.  Yet, there are some who make my blood boil.  Last night we lost one of the best American theologians this world has seen -- and he proudly bore the SJ after his name.

So rest in peace, Avery Dulles SJ - I'm sure you're having a great time in heaven right now.

How's this for some for words of wisdom:

Very few new ideas, I suspect, are true ... Far more valuable would it be to insert oneself in the great tradition of the fathers and doctors of the church.

- Cardinal Avery Dulles, SJ
39th McGinley Lecture

No comments: