Pages

07 January 2009

The Wonderful World of Antiphons

Part of religious life is the beautiful rhythm of the Liturgy of the Hours.  Morning prayer and evening prayer everyday.  Night prayer too.  The Office of Readings if you're feeling industrious (or are terrible at meditating, like me).  It's still too early for a truly complete description, so I'll bend to my darker side and link an article to Wikipedia for a better explanation.

Anyway, I bring this up because from time to time, the antiphons - or the verse before the recitation of a psalm - really catches my eye.  Monday's antiphon for Psalm 86 of Night Prayer is one of them.

O Lord, our God, unwearied is your love for us.

Isn't this indeed the truth?  God continually pours out His love for us, regardless of how we behave, how we respond to His call, how we act towards ourselves and others.  Constant is the love that God gives us.  He will not give up on us.  Absolutely will not.  A casual flip through the news of the day shows us a myriad of people beaten down by life, weary to the very depths of their souls.  However, our God who looks not down upon us, but who is truly present to us, does not grow weary.  He continues to empty Himself, pour Himself out to us. 

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty glad He doesn't get wearied.  Especially in those times that I do.

No comments: