Pages

04 June 2010

D.O.C. to NJ

The former President of my alma mater is heading to the Trenton, NJ. 

From current Bishop Mort Smith's statement:

When the Holy Father’s personal representative to the United States, Archbishop Pietro Sambi, Apostolic Nuncio, informed me that Pope Benedict XVI had appointed the Very Reverend David M. O’Connell, C.M. as Coadjutor Bishop of Trenton, I instantly knew that the future of the Diocese of Trenton would be in good and capable hands. A Coadjutor bishop comes to a diocese with the right of succession. That is he automatically becomes the bishop of the diocese upon the death or retirement of his predecessor. Coadjutor Bishop-elect David M. O’Connell will succeed me as Bishop of Trenton when the Holy Father accepts my resignation. Church law regulates that a bishop must submit his resignation to the Holy Father on his seventy fifth birthday. The Pope then decides when the resignation will be accepted and became effective. By God’s good grace and love, I will be seventy five on June 23 of this year 2010.
Here's the link for the statements, courtesy of Roc.

No comments: