Pages

22 June 2010

What I've Been Reading

Yesterday, I completed Robert Hughes' Fatal Shore, written about the transportation (of convicts) system and the founding of Australia.  Hughes is a magnificent wordsmith, but the book is a long, hard slog.  Recommended, but make sure you have plenty of time if you're going to begin it.

I'm also flying through Peter Hebblethwaite's biography of Paul VI.  Tremendous.  I find myself on the edge of my seat as I move from chapter to chapter. 

A few pieces from the Times that you might want to look up -- they're less time-consuming than the two tomes I mentioned above:

Ross Douthat shares some observations about the current state of liberalism in America.

As usual Tom Friedman is terrific.  This time he opines on Turkey.

Meet Fr. John Flynn, finally retiring.  Well done, good and faithful servant.

No comments: