Pages

06 August 2010

Paul VI, Transfiguration and Convergence

My blogging brother (and new Boston neighbor), Br. Charles has a great post up about the Transfiguration, but I couldn't let what I consider to be a double feast for me pass without mention.

Wait a minute, say you, a double feast?  Yes, say I, a double feast.  On the one hand, we have the beautiful feast given to us by the Church today: the Transfiguration of the Lord.  On the other hand, today is the thirty-second anniversary of the death of the Servant of God Pope Paul VI.

As I've mentioned in earlier blog posts, I consider Paul VI to be a sort of hero to me.  I find him to be the pontiff who bridged nearly unfathomable gaps in the church.  His name is used in vain by radicals of all stripes, which I find to be a mighty good indication of his integrity.  The man was a prophet.  What's more, if you've ever given any time to a biography of Paul, you'll find that he was a man intensely focused on contemplation and holiness.  What's more, Paul devoted his ministry within the Secretariat of State, within the church of Milan and then as Pope to moving all to a convergence with Christ.

Just for a minute, think about that word: convergence.  It's sufficiently nuanced to compel thought, but strong enough when coupled with Christ to place an imperative upon all Christians.

In many ways, isn't the Transfiguration itself a sort of convergence?  Old and New Testaments collide.  Prophet, law and Messiah collide.  Heaven and earth.  Apostles and Teacher.  They all converge.  And what do we see?   The result of our God, so good and so renewing, converging with us, as we converge with Him.

Servant of God Paul VI's original episcopal motto (rejected because of its overly monastic overtones?): Cum ipso in monte.  On the mountainside with Him. 


Pray for us, Paul VI, that we might converge with Christ.

No comments: