Pages

06 September 2010

Back to School

I just got back from Emmanuel College to pick up the books for the single class that I'll be taking in the fall there.  10 books graced the list of Literature and Philosophy with Dr. Wall.  There's a wide assortment; some authors I've read before, while I've read what others have said about them in other instances.  Regardless, I'm excited to get back into the academic world, so to speak.  I know that I always planned on getting back into education at some point in my life, even before I was (more or less) certain of my vocation as a friar.  As of Wednesday, I'll be back on that particular road.

Though I may be back on an education track, I won't be traveling in the same metaphorical car as those in my class at Emmanuel.  As I walked through EC's campus today to find the bookstore, I kept needing to avoid long lines of freshmen getting shown here, there and back here again.  I realized that this young men and women are in most cases a year older than my youngest brother.  Some of the kids from my past youth groups are freshmen too.  The teacher (me), in the roughest use of the term, is back with the students once again.  I'm confident that I'm up to the task academically in this case, yet spiritually, I'm less sure.  Will I be willing to listen?  Will I be willing to learn from my classmates who are nearly a decade (wow!) younger than me?  I hope and pray that I am.  For all my prayers to the Lord for humility, He's decided, it seems, to give me ample chance to be humble.

No comments: