Pages

28 September 2010

A Thought Before Bed

Well, actually a thought before I go pray night prayer and spend a bit of time recollecting in the chapel.

Today, the Church offered one of my favorite Gospels, Luke 9:51-56, for our consideration and prayer.

The line that always catches my attention: When the days for Jesus to be taken up were fulfilled, he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem...


I'm not particularly certain why it catches my imagination.  Perhaps it is because it has a very visceral image, perhaps it is because it fits my own interpretation of what I thought Jesus to be, or perhaps for another reason.

What I do know is this: that each day as a Christian one must more or less set his or her face towards Jerusalem.  There is a distinct choice each day, a sort of break point that seemingly arrives sooner in the morning rather than later in which we a constitutive part of our Christian existence that particular day requires us to set our face towards the cross, towards our Christian destiny.

Surely, it's tough, but heck, it's worth it.

No comments: