Pages

30 November 2010

Overheard

From a friar back from an RCIA appointment:

This is the inquiry stage.  Do you know what that means?
It's a time for me to ask questions.
Exactly.  So, if you have any questions, you let me know.  Whenever you have a question about what is going on in God's world and happening to God's people, you ask the question.  Because if the church doesn't have the answer to your question, you might need to find another.  However, we've been around two thousand years ... so I think we can handle it.

And that, my friends, is one of the reasons why I love being Catholic.  Our Church has been around.  We have seen two thousand years of saints and sinners; heck, we are two thousand years of saints and sinners.

The best part about this conversation is that I can tell you there was no triumphalism in the friar's voice.  There was a kind earnestness.  Perhaps what went unsaid in his response, but what could be immediately understood is this: because we've been around so long, we know that there aren't easy answers to most of what is happening to the people of God these days.

No comments: