Pages

25 February 2011

Great Moments in Ecumenism

This prayer has come to my attention several times in the last few days.  Written by Ignatius of Loyala, the founder of the Jesuits, its publication on these pages is a big ecumenical step for me.  Enjoy.


Take Lord, and receive all my liberty,my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. 
You have given all to me.To you, O Lord, I return it. 
All is yours,dispose of it wholly according to your will.Give me your love and thy grace,for this is sufficient for me.

8 comments:

wayhip said...

A big ecumenical step, huh? I literally laughed out loud!

Anonymous said...

The Suscipe is my favorite prayer.

Paul A. Zalonski said...

let's not go overboard, please, about ecumenism. there Jesuits see themselves as the Church's loyal opposition, like of some of your profs.

Cole Matson said...

I live in a Jesuit-run university chaplaincy, and our Catholic Society's ecumenical officer jokes that his primary responsibility is to liaise with the nearby Dominicans.:-)

mtjofmcap said...

@ Wayne: it was too wonderful of a dry bit of humor to pass up.

@ Cole: True ecumenism will take place when the Franciscans find out how many different orders there are in family.

Anonymous said...

Leave the Jesuits alone...

Chris J.

mtjofmcap said...

All in good fun, Chris. Hope I didn't insult!

Anonymous said...

Had a conversation with a diocesan priest, who, upon finding out that I taught at a Jesuit high school, asked the following question to me and my then-boyfriend, who regularly attended the Tridentine liturgy in town: "Are you two going to need a disparity of cult dispensation?" --ktb