Pages

18 March 2011

What I Need

My window is open; it is, after all, a beautiful day.

I have a to-do list that I find staggering.  It is my own fault, of course.  I have a seemingly inimical inability to say "no."  I don't mean to spiritualize this temporal shortcoming, but whenever there is an opportunity to talk about the Gospel, I just cannot turn down the opportunity.

I have a series of books, commentaries and notes scattered across my office.

But, you know what it is I need more than anything?  I need baseball.  I realize that I haven't written much about baseball lately.  It's sort of been like the old friend that is always there, yet just doesn't come around as much as he should anymore.

I just want to see a well-turned double play.  Call it a reminder of the supreme cosmic order.  Despite what happens, the bases are always ninety feet away; you always look middle-in on a 3-0 count.

Yes, indeed, baseball and God.  Not coequal pillars upon which my life has been built, but both omnipresent.

The above is disjointed, surely.  Yet, opening day is two weeks away.  Makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: