Pages

13 April 2011

Certain Assumptions

This morning I treated myself to a six-mile run in the rain.  In my own vanity, I like to consider myself a mudder -- a person who enjoys running in poor weather.

There are some days when my running stride seems to "click" and I can then, subsequently, get lost in my thoughts.  These are times when -- again in my own vanity -- I think I do my best thinking.  Today, while running I realized that some of the great difficulties into which I've run as a theology student stem from the reality that my assumptions are a lot different than those considered (especially by those who think them) to be en vogue.

Here are a few of my troublesome assumptions:


  • While the march of history is inexorable, progress is not; consequently, innovation, theological or otherwise, isn't always good.
  • The values of the Enlightenment and the French Revolution are not sacrosanct in Catholic theology.
  • The following two points are not irreconcilable: one can be conservative in the sense of not being radically prejudiced against the past and also ultimately liberally in the distribution of one's mercy and treasure.  
  • My truth might be mine, but that doesn't make it true; it's only mine.  As a corollary, the same goes for your truth.  
  • Because God is Mystery, we can't always get what we want; we believe, however, that perhaps temporally, and certainly eschatologically, we'll always get what we need.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, know what you mean when you talk about losing yourself in a run and things clicking. It can be a sort of meditation at its best. Unfortunately I have not run on a regular basis in at least a year. I miss it.

Chris J