Pages

17 April 2011

Holiness and Consent

One of the great anxieties of my religious life -- and, please God, some day my priestly life -- is that I consistently fail to reach the level of holiness befitting my call from the Lord.

Most normally when this happens, I spend a bit of time trying to put together a game plan of sorts.  I'll add this many more minutes of prayer during the day.  Things like that.  Inevitably, this never works.  Attempting to grow in holiness does not seem to aided by assigning quantitative measures.

What I have found, however, is that these moments of inadequacy can only be confronted by radical moments of consent.  Consent to God's will and, perhaps more difficultly, to my own brokenness and inadequacy.

Welcome, Holy Week 2011, our Lord's lesson about consent.

No comments: