Pages

03 May 2011

Talking

Of recent fame are conversations about the loneliness of religious life.  This is, I think, the implicit assumption of the two main questions one often hears about religious life.

They are:

  1. What is your prayer life like?
  2. What is celibacy like?
My initial response to these questions is usually some version of this:

Similar.  Good days and bad days.
In other words, the sentiment can be summarized as, "If I join this life of yours, am I going to be lonely?"

The answer, of course, is "Sometimes."

But, I can tell you this, if you are discerning.  The Lord, in His infinite goodness, mercy and care for your soul will provide you the quality of prayer, abundance of grace and love of friends if you merely consent to these things.

About these items, there is no up and down.

No comments: