Pages

27 August 2011

My Favorite Canticle from the Office


CanticleExodus 15
Hymn of victory after crossing the Red Sea

The Lord is my strength, I will sing his praise: he is my salvation.
I will sing to the Lord, for his triumph is glorious. Horse and rider he has cast into the sea.
The Lord is my support and my strength, and he has saved me.
  This is my God, and I will give him glory
  This is my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
The Lord is a warrior – ‘The Lord’ is his name!
  Pharaoh’s chariots and army he has thrown into the sea.
Your storm raged, and the waters were piled high,
  the flowing waters were a rampart, the sea-bed was exposed.
The enemy said: “I will follow and surround them;
  I will divide their spoils,
  have my fill of booty,
  draw my sword and kill them all.”
Your wind blew,
  and the sea covered them,
  they sank like lead in the raging waters.
What god is like you, O Lord?
What god is like you,
  so great in your holiness,
a worker of miracles,
  terrible and worthy of praise?
You stretched out your hand and the earth swallowed them.
In your mercy you led your people whom you had redeemed,
  in your strength you brought them to your dwelling-place.
You will lead them in and establish them
  on the mountain that is your inheritance,
your solid dwelling-place, which you made, Lord;
  your sanctuary, Lord, which your hands made firm.
The Lord will reign, to eternity and beyond!
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
  as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
  world without end.
Amen.
The Lord is my strength, I will sing his praise: he is my salvation.

No comments: