Pages

09 August 2011

Senorita Houston

I do not know Senorita Houston’s real name.  She told me, I think, but I forgot it.  I do know, however, that she was a student in one of the English classes I assisted at the high school.  I tagged with this name because she knew more English than the balance of her class – likely, combined.  She learned her English because she vacationed in Houston for a month at some point in the past. 

Miss Houston was a delightful presence in class.  In addition to (relatively) stronger than normal English skills, she also possessed a poise which made her stand out amongst her classmates – the equivalent of the seventh or eighth grade.
--
I assigned homework my first day at the school. 

Write two sentences in English about what you want to be when you grow up and why.  That means, one sentence about what you want to be and a second about one reason why.
The class nodded.  I offered them ten points (a larger than normal amount, I gathered) for simply completing the assignment, regardless of correct grammar or spelling.
--

Senorita Houston wrote:
I want to be a doctor when I grow up because I   <8  love hospitals and working with sick people.

“Great work,” thought I. Then I saw the second assignment:

I want to be a doctor when I grow up because I <8  love hospitals and working with sick people.

And the third:

I want to be a doctor when I grow up because I  <8 love hospitals and working with sick people.

--
Welcome to the majors, Mr. Hobbs.


No comments: