Pages

28 September 2011

The Problem of Sin

I have found myself thinking about sin an awful lot lately.  Simultaneously engaging the readings of two theology courses that have taken method and fundamental theology as their initial topics will do that, I guess.

The particular problem that I have found with the authors which I have read is that they don't particularly answer the problem of sin and its (possibly) deleterious effect upon our reception of revelation.  To put it more finely: all of this anthropology is well and good, but at the end of the day, my ability to know God is hampered more by my own propensity to mess it all up than anything else.

Creating a fundamental theology that focuses on the transcendent is engaging; creating one which places sin on the social level is magnificent too.  But, it leaves me feeling cold, empty and entirely too optimistic about my own ability to discern the presence of the Living God.

Francis told the brothers that they only thing they owned was their own sin.

If I forget it, let my Capuchin heart wither...


1 comment:

Anthony Zuba said...

I would say all sin is "personal" and avoid drawing too fine a line between either "individual" sin or "social" sin. All sin is corporate in cause, effect, and possession. The germ of my sin is cultured in and by the world. My sin makes it harder for my community, my nation, and my Church to know God. And I identify the sin committed in the name of the nation, community, race, religion, and gender to which my person belongs as my own.