Pages

31 January 2013

The Good Word -- 1.31.12


To the one who has, more will be given; 
from the one who has not, 
even what he has will be taken away.
Mark 4:25

The preceding line in this Gospel causes me personal heartache:


He also told them, “Take care what you hear.The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you (4:24).
It is a damning call to an examination of conscience.  There are more times professionally, personally and spirituality in which I use a meager measure with those around me.


Yet the next verse, as captioned above, presents an even more troubling call to a collective examination of conscience, especially when read in the tropological, that is to say, moral, sense.  By this, I mean it calls me to wonder out loud if the collective refusal of one group or another to heed the Word of God may result in their little possession of the Spirit to be taken away.  In a era where religious communities fret about both matters of money and bodies, it is a question to be asked.

At the same time, the hope of the Gospel, the light in the metaphorical darkness, shines through: for those who remain faithful, who cleave to God, even more will be poured out for them.


A Barthian reading?  Indeed.  Accurate? I fear so.

3 comments:

flacie said...

Not a comment, but a comment: I'd love to read your post, but it falls off the margins on the right and I can't see the text.

Matt Janeczko said...

Fixed!

Matt Janeczko said...

Fixed!