Pages

03 January 2013

The Good Word - 1.3.12


I did not know him,
but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me,
‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain,
he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”
John 1:33-34

There is a funny interplay in the life of faith, I think, between seeing and believing.  John the Baptist sees and then testifies: the Son of God is Jesus.  This is on one hand a graced moment, vision begotten by spiritual sight, a gift from God.  Yet at the same time, it is also a vindication of John himself.  He is not a crazy man, all consumed by his locusts and honey.  No, John is not mad.  Or, failing that, he is not mad at the moment.  At this moment, he sees clearly -- perfect.  The Holy Spirit has landed.  Jesus is Lord.

No comments: