Pages

02 February 2013

The Feast of the Presentation

For he is like the refiner’s fire,
or like the fuller’s lye.
He will sit refining and purifying silver,
and he will purify the sons of Levi,
Refining them like gold or like silver
that they may offer due sacrifice to the LORD.


Malachi 3:2b-3

The recent revelations from the Archdiocese of Los Angeles have shocked me.  I spent much of Thursday night reading through the stories and found myself unable to fall asleep.  Of course, me not being able to sleep is completely meaningless: the human cost of the actions perpetrated by clergy and the subsequent actions (or lack thereof) by those tasked to shepherd the people of God are absolutely immeasurable.  


This morning's first reading for the Feast of the Presentation particularly caught my attention given my recent meditations.  The refiner's fire is a theme picked up by Handel's Messiah:




And thus, today, my prayer is that the refiner's fire promised by the Lord through the prophet purifies the Levites: those of us past, present and future.

No comments: