Pages

02 March 2013

I Don't Believe in March (Papal) Madness

The recent resignation of Benedict XVI is, at least in popular circles, a double-edged sword.  On one hand, it's Pope-Madness, all the time.  Local, national and international news programs want to talk about who is going to be the next pope; so does more or less everyone on Twitter and Facebook.

The resignation has also given the usual suspects ready platforms to suggest the next pope is made in the image and likeness of themselves (I'm looking at you, Hans Kung.)

Yet, with all of this talk, I think we may be forgetting not only what the temporal tasks will be of the next Pope, but also the spiritual burdens that go with the office.  Moreover, I cannot help but wonder if the NCAA-style bracket of possible papabile is not commercializing the matter just a bit too much.  What's more, in my heart of hearts, I really don't want or desire the same type of coverage for the conclave that say, a congressional election receives.

All I'd like is for us to pray for the Cardinals who are participating in the conclave and in a special way for the man who is about to be elected to the loneliest job in the world.

No comments: