Pages

26 March 2013

The Importance of Conversation

This morning while attempting to make it from the school building to the library, I bumped into a good friend, one of the smartest people I know.  We got to talking about theology and blogging: two topics about which we share deep mutual interest.  Neither of us had any plans in particular, so we ended up having lunch (El Pelon burritos are growing on me) and continuing our discussion.

Now, this particular friend and I agree on many things; but at the same time, we possess different perspectives on a whole series of topics.  I always walk away from our conversations thinking: now I know more about that.  I can only hope that he possesses the same conclusion.

Yet, what's the best part of these conversations is that they are just that: conversations.  One of my constant fears when working with seventh and eighth graders (and yes, I am afraid of many things in those situations), is that they are losing the ability to have conversations, to engage in the robust give and take of ideas as communicated by words, expressions and gestures.

In this sense, one of the great joys of studying theology is that it brings people into contact with each other and forces us to talk.  At least, of course, this happens when theology is at its best.

Then again, if theology is predicated on God's relationship to the world and how it may be mirrored by human relationships with God and with each other, a theology that doesn't talk to other people really isn't theology, is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thought regarding conversation and young people. You may be correct.

Chris J.