Pages

08 April 2013

The Good Word: Subjunctive Fun

No, no, don't get all excited: it's Monday morning and I wrote "subjunctive," not subjective.

Today's response to the psalm (for the Solemnity of the Annunciation):
Here I am Lord, I come to do your will.(Ps. 40: 8a; 9a) 
The Vulgate translation as per my copy of the Daily Missal:
Ecce venio, Domine, ut faciam voluntatem tuam. 
As I may translate it:
Behold, I come to [you], Lord, so that I can do your will.
I've tried to render the translation in such a way as to draw out the subjective case (x, thus/so y).

Why all this?

I find the cause/effect that is made manifest by the subjunctive to be worth noting.  The precise reason that the psalmist presents himself to the Lord is so that the Lord's will may be done in the future.

So, on this Solemnity of the Annunciation, we come to the Lord, precisely to do the Lord's will as we are called.

Or, perhaps even more starkly: if we dare allow the Lord to behold us, we will be called.





No comments: