Pages

19 May 2013

The Craft of the Homily and Ontology

I'm beginning to work out a homily for Corpus Christi, the first homily that I will give as an ordained person.  Of course, I've had other opportunities to preach -- reflections at the monthly school masses, preaching on behalf of the Capuchin missions at a parish in New Hampshire, and other talks and conferences in a variety of situations.  And yet, this homily seems different: probably because it is different.  

I know that it will be different, precisely because in my ordination I will be conformed, changed really, in order to better break open the Word of God.  Of course, just as any gift, ordination will require a good deal amount of work on my part (in reality, my whole self -- duh), but as I reflect upon what it will be like to preach as a deacon, I realize that with the added gift of the office of Sacred Orders, so too does the responsibility increase.

And so, on the great feast of Pentecost, "Come, Holy Spirit!"

No comments: