Pages

03 June 2013

On Vineyards and Tenants

This morning's scheduled mass celebrant preached this morning; I served as deacon and didn't create too many awkward liturgical situations.  I figure that by the time I've figured out how to be a deacon, it will be next May -- and you know what that will bring.

--

If I was, however, going to preach, I think I would have said something like this:

(Mark 12:1-12).

One of the most peculiar parts of the tenant/vineyard/owner parable is how misshapen and confused the plan of the tenants proves to be:
He sent him to them last of all, thinking, ‘They will respect my son.’But those tenants said to one another, ‘This is the heir.Come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.’
This is what evil does -- this is the result of sin.  It so warps our thinking, that we begin to buy into, as it were, plots of grandeur that have no basis in the reality of ourselves, or perhaps more importantly, the reality of God.

Today, we pray that we may listen closely to the Lord speaking in our lives, so that we may not follow the false reality presented to us by sin, but rather embrace our work in the vineyard of the Lord.

No comments: